The Importance of Access in Selling Your Home
Once you’ve made the decision to sell your house, at the Just Say Home KC Team, we'll ask how much access to your home you want to give potential buyers. Your answer matters more now than it did in recent years. Let's share some of the reasons why:
At the height of the buying frenzy during the pandemic, there was a rise in the number of homebuyers who put offers on houses sight unseen. That happened for three reasons:
- Extremely low housing inventory
- A lot of competition from other buyers wanting to take advantage of historically low mortgage rates
- A general wariness of in-person home tours during a pandemic
Today, the housing market is changing, and buyers can usually be more selective and take more time to explore their options.
In order to show your house and sell it efficiently, you’ll want to provide buyers with as much access as you can. Consider these five levels of access you can provide. They’re ordered from most convenient for a buyer to least convenient.
- Lockbox on the Door – This allows buyers the ability to see the home as soon as they are aware of the listing or at their convenience.
- Providing a Key to the Home – This would require an agent to stop by an office to pick up the key, which is still pretty convenient for a buyer.
- Open Access with a Phone Call – This means you allow a showing with just a phone call’s notice.
- By Appointment Only – For example, you might want us to set up a showing at a particular time and give you advance notice. That way you can prepare the house and be sure you have somewhere else you can go in the meantime.
- Limited Access – This might mean you’re only willing to have your house available on certain days or at certain times of day. In general, this is the most difficult and least flexible way to show your house to potential buyers.
As today’s housing market changes, be sure to work with the Just Say Home KC Team to give buyers as much access as you can to your house when you sell.
If you are ready to sell your home this Spring or have questions about giving access to buyers to your home when selling, connect with the Just Say Home KC Team today at 816-656-2816.